Thursday, September 18, 2008

 

Dan and Eamonn did Murphys

After an 0830 bedtime, three hours of sleep and a day spent toasting myself by the riverside at the VMM's barbecue, it was time for the long-awaited gig at Murphy's. The omens weren't good: I wasn't nearly as drunk as I should have been and the amp had exploded the previous night.

Nor did we get off to the most assured start. I strummed through the opening A chord of "Fake plastic trees" three or four times, while Eamonn stared off placidly into space.

"Er, any time you're ready..."

This broke Eamonn out of his reverie with such a jolt that he almost fell off his barstool.

1st half

Postman Pat (warm up)
Fake plastic trees
1979
Landslide
Perfect day
Stand by me
Think twice (reprise: No good)
Girlfriend in a coma
Galapagos

Notes on the first half: we were fine from 1979 on. Singing "Think twice" (a Celine Dion song) and finishing it off with "No good" (a Prodigy song) was a good laugh. I had to sing "Think twice" because Eamonn, quite wisely, hadn't bothered to commit the words to memory.

Galapagos was by far the most intricate song of the set and I wasn't helped by a latecomer, Kazu, bursting out in front of me to say "Hi Dan!" whilst I was attempting to negotiate the most fiddly bit. Fortunately, I made it through in one piece, Eamonn sang it angelically, and I was able to relax in the interval and stick two pints down my throat.

2nd half

Karma police
If you're into it
Wind
Father and Son
There is a light that never goes out
So long, Marianne
Lily (my one and only)

Highlights: Eamonn missing his cue on Father and Son for the umpteenth time; me ballsing up all the words to "There is a light..."; Bushman Jim standing next to the stage shouting "suck it!" at me in an attempt to put me off; me pulling faces at Eamonn every time he looked my way to put him off; Eamonn changing words to the songs:

For now I need your hidden love
I'm cold as a new razor blade
You left when I told you I was bi-curious
I never said that I was gay

Now so long, Marianne...



Ah, me... good thing we practiced...

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares