Friday, September 12, 2008

 

Latterday Simon & Garfunkel

Band practice continues apace: Bog-Irish Mick is good enough to let us drive away the few customers he has with our warbling and shenanigans. He criticises us for having too many "slow" songs, but I say tish and pshaw: our quality will shine through, come Sunday.

A Japanese patron, who is trying (with little- and by "little", I mean "no"- success) to seduce the lady on the next barstool, requests Simon and Garfunkel when I am gearing up to give Cat Stevens a whirl.

Flexibility is every musician's watchword: I dust off The Boxer and sing it quite nicely, if I do say so myself:

Asking only workman's wages, I come looking for a job
but I get no offers,
just a come on from the whores on 7th Avenue
I do declare,
there were times when I was so lonesome, I took some comfort there...


I bring it to a close and am rewarded with no applause, or- even- recognition from Japanese patron. I ask him whence his ingratitude and am enlightened with the fact that he doesn't know The Boxer.

Elaborating on this, he goes on to reveal that he doesn't know any Simon and Garfunkel songs at all, except for Bridge Over Troubled Water. And he doesn't get the title of this right, either.

I call him various things.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares