Monday, September 01, 2008

 

Oishiku mo nai

I was explaining to an OB that whilst "sushi", "sake" and "tofu" are likely to be understood by English speakers, variations thereof, such as "chirashi-zushi", "shiro-zake" and "age-dofu", are just going to confuse people.

He was good enough to explain that shiro-zake is made from rice and kouji.

Ah, kouji. I said, picking up my board marker. I haven't a clue what kouji is of course, but I figured I might as well have a stab. I sketched out a couple of kanji on the board.



On the left, kou: crimson.

On the right, ji: haemorrhoids.

Unsurprisingly, this turned out not to have been what he meant at all, although he had a good laugh at my attempt.

I admitted that I didn't know what kouji was and he conceded that shiro-zake wasn't really all that different from regular sake. Except for the fact that it was non-alcoholic.

I told him that calling it non-alcoholic sake would be a good start.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares